Thursday 2 August 2007

RPGing can actually be fun

I have personally never been a big convert to the suposed big interest for reclusive, teenage boys that is RPGing. Many of my friend had done it for years and I had once or twice partaken of a game of D and D (dungeons and dragon's for the luckily uninitiated). It however had never really grabbed me and to my best degree had managed to avoid getting dragged into it to much. The perception which I had held of it was one of boys smelling to much of cheese and onion crisps pretending to be barbarians.

This view had without a doubt been partly created by some of the friends that I had played D and D with. As dear as these friends of mine are to me, they do to a large degree fit the stereotype that I have just described.

In the past few weeks however my defences have weakend and I have begun to take part in a star wars RPG. While my girlfriend and many other friends have castigaited me for taking part in what they view as just grown up makes believe, it has infact been brilliantly enjoyable.

Yes, it is grown up's make believe, but I dont see why that should be a problem. It gives me and the friends I have done it with an oportunity to meet up and have a laugh and also to play the parts of bounty hunters...

The reason that I write this is that I have spent the past afternoon engadging in this for to long shunned persuit, and I can now happily say I am Bram McGaw, slaughter of a thousands wookies!

Roll on the next game

No comments: